Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Baskets

Another fad that I fell in love with is the bookshelf with baskets. I really wanted to incorporate this into the nursery but just about anything, even a plain basket, around here costs between 10 and 20 dollars. Each. That can add up quick! So, i decided to attempt to make my own.


I started out with a stack of cheap, kinda ugly baskets from the dollar store, 2 dollars each for this size. I have three sizes, these deep ones, some shallower squares and some mini baskets.


I wanted everything to match, but the purple camo fabric came from a store over an hour away, so instead I used this turquoise fabric that I had bought when I was considering another colour because I could not find the purple in my city.

I measured one side of the basket and multiplied that by four, then added a centimetre for the corners. I also put the fabric to the basket and decided how deep I wanted it to go. I cut about 3.5 inch strips from my fabric. I used a 12 inch ruler, so my cuts were a little crooked. Meh. I pinned the fabric to my baskets (above) and hauled out my trusty glue gun. Sewing machines hate me, so I cheated.


Basically from there it was just tuck and glue. And burned my fingers! I did the outside first, removing and replacing the clothespins as necessary, and then I did the inside. I made sure to have a line of glue up the corners as well, so they are not loose.



Ta-Da! These are the deep baskets, I have 5 of them. They will be for diapers and some quick change clothes. 

The shallow square baskets, there are 4 of them. They will hold wipes and toys


And the mini ones, they will be for the dresser and will hold things like a hair brush, barrettes when she is older, and other small items. .



They are not on my shelf yet, because this is what the nursery looks like right now, or at least as of last weekend. 


The bike has been removed, there are two chairs in there that will hopefully be out next weekend, and then I can start re-arranging things, We are still using the dresser I plan on doubling as a change table, hopefully we will get our bigger one out of storage next weekend as well, so we can put the smaller one in the nursery. I am dropping off the fabric for the curtains this weekend, and I already have my wall decals, it is just a matter of getting them up. I am finished work next Friday, so I will have plenty of long day times in December to get everything done while Mr Man is at work!

Hope everyone is having a great week! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US!

~Natasha.

No comments:

Post a Comment