Sunday, October 7, 2012

Dump Cake

It has been a hectic week. Last weekend, we moved, finally! It has been a long week of unpacking, stacking and finding places to stash everything in a smaller apartment and a (much) smaller kitchen. But, the show must go one, and the day before we moved I had a potluck to attend at work.

On of my aunts told me about this quick recipe last Thanksgiving, so I finally got curious enough to research it, since it sounded super easy and I could make it in a disposable baking container. It is basically a fruit cobbler and sounds delicious when described. To make it, you will need a can of cherry pie filling, a can of pineapple (same size) a yellow cake mix and some butter. I had the butter and cherries, I got the pineapple and cake at Wal-Mart for 3 dollars the day before I made it. Cheap and easy!


Step one: Dump the cherry pie filling into the pan.


Step two, dump the pineapple, including juice, on top. I used 2 cans because around here they only stock small ones. All the recipes stated not to stir it, but i did a bit.


Step three: Sprinkle a yellow or white cake mix on top of it all.


Step four: Spread pats of butter over top evenly. I used Becel. Bake at 350 F for 45 to 60 minutes,until browned and your house smells yummy!


It smelled delicious and looked delicious, but I found it really rich. I ate a bit, and i know for sure two other people tried it (out of about 35). Myself and one of the others tossed half our servings and I ended up bringing about three quarters of it home.

I think it would be better if it was a different fruit combination. Maybe blackberries and raspberries. Or apples and pears. Something not so sweet. I might try this recipe again and experiment with it a bit.

Today is Thanksgiving here in Canada. Thanksgiving is a three day weekend here, so today we are going for turkey at his parent's house, and tomorrow my sister is hosting a turkey & ham dinner at our parent's house.  Dad complained there were no leftovers last year when I hosted Christmas, so we decided to make sure he got some this year. My mom said she bought two pumpkins for K to decorate so I am bringing paints, we can do that while his mommy is cooking and his daddy is looking after Cormac.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in Canada!!

~Natasha,

No comments:

Post a Comment