Thursday, April 23, 2015

Homemade Mac & Cheese.


Last Sunday before we went out for the day, I poked my head into the freezer to see what I could find for dinner. The first thing I laid my eyes on, I grabbed. A package of sliced ham. 4 PM rolled around and I had absolutely nothing to go with it. I peered in the cupboard and found a box of Mac and Cheese. A meal the masses usually like, so that will do! While I was boiling the water, I changed my mind: who cares about the masses, I want homemade!! I quickly did a Pintrest search and found a simple recipe HERE. I cut the recipe in half, because 2 adults and a toddler can't eat that much! There were still plenty of leftovers. 


In the same amount of time it would have taken me to take the boxed variety, I made this delicious concoction. While the macaroni boiled, I made the white sauce; and while it baked, I fried the ham on the stove top. The only changes I made was less salt and I used crushed croutons on top. I don't usually keep Panko on hand, so it worked in a pinch. They gave it sort of a garlicky twist. I also gave it another sprinkle of cheese on top after the crumbs were added, just for kicks!


A decent sized toddler portion. She ate half the ham and it looked like she didn't touch the macaroni. I hope her sister is a better eater when her time comes! As for Mr Picky? He liked it, but didn't love it. He thought it was to chewy, and when I asked if I should make it again some day he just hummed, so I am guessing that is a no. Grr. I do agree, it was a little chewy, but otherwise I thought it was delicious.

So, another meal 'flop'...maybe next time!

Have a good week!

~Natasha.

No comments:

Post a Comment